Thursday, February 21, 2013

Marriage and Family Class at SMU

This semester I am taking a marriage and family class at SMU. It is such an interesting class. Each student has to read two books and write a paper to present to class. The final paper is a reflection paper on what you have learned from the class. The professor has been a marriage and family councilor for the past 30 years or more. He has great stories and insight on marriage and family and where it will go in the 21st century.

The first book I have read is about family life from the time of the mayflower through the 1980's, as the book was published in 1988. The book does have some stuff at the end about where the author saw marriage and family going on into the future.

I learned a lot about marriage and family that I did not know such as the past roles and how they have taken us to what we see today in family units and marriages. Just to see how things have changed in our country from the man being the head of the house to women's rights and the role children play in a marriage and family. The book is written in chronological order which helps the reader follow the information and take in a bit. Overall the book made me thankful for where we are today. I am also interested to see where things will go in the 21st century. So, now I am off to work on writing my first rough draft of my paper as it is due the beginning of March. I will have one down and two to go. Also, want to get a head start on book number two which is about nostalgia and family.

No comments: