Wednesday, March 5, 2008

SMU Tate Lecture Series: Tony Blair

Tonight I had the opportunity to see Tony Blair at the Tate Lecture series held at SMU. I had a great time hearing him speak. He told lots of funny jokes and funny things that happened to him while he was Prime Minister of Brittan. He started off by telling about the British election system and how you have to move into 10 downing street the day after you are elected. Also, he mentioned a tradition that the new prime minister has to meet with the queen and ever so lightly kiss the hand of the queen. However, he ended up tripping over something and did not slightly brush her hand but went straight on. It was pretty funny. Also, he was the first prime minister to have a child while he was in office in the past 200 years. That is a little known fact I thought was interesting.
Mr. Blair spoke on the war in Iraq and what needs to be done to help win it. I thought he made some very good points and explained that many people think that "if only" Saddam or the Taliban had been thrown out earlier then we would not be where we are. However, I do not believe that we should be saying "if only" because you never know what could have happened instead or if September 11th could have still happened regardless. He went on to point out that extremest become that way over time and many years of oppression or teaching. I thought that was an interesting point, certainly one I had not thought of before. Also, he said that this is a generational war. I do think that it has changed the world as we know it and as we move on things will continue to change. In the end of his speech touched on what it is like in different countries and poverty as well as poverty in his own country. I thought it was interesting and agreed with him on this point. That a lot of times the problem with the people who are in poverty is certainly the circumstances but also you have to look at where that person has come from. You have to look at what kind of family life the child had or did not have. He said that the most important thing is not what level of socio-economic class you are in but how much you are loved and wanted by your care takers. Often times children who get stuck in poverty do not have caretakers or do not have a strong bond or relationship with a parent or guardian.
I feel that after my student teaching experience this past year I totally agree with Mr. Blair and his observation on how much the child is loved and cared for should be the number one goal of the parent or care taker. I feel that so many times people get stuck in a cycle that is seen in the United Kingdom as well as the United States. I feel that if so many of the children are loved they do not care if they have a lot or not. Mr. Blair gave the example of his own dad and how he was poor and able to make something of himself but most of all that his dad was loved and that is all he needed. Love is one of the most important characteristics that we as humans share. Mr. Blair also touched on a new project that he is starting to work on. He will be working on getting people together with different backgrounds to come together as one and see beyond the differences of culture and religion and look onto our similarities. I thought that is a great idea to get people to see each other for their commonalities and not so much there differences. I feel that this is a great start to a world that is more global than it has ever been before and each day has more opportunity for people to be connected in new ways never imagined before.
So in conclusion to this very long post I must say that I very much enjoyed the opportunity to hear a prime minister speak who has seen the world though so much change in the way we communicate and see the world.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

So interesting to read about Tony Blair... it's good to write stuff like that down because you won't remember in a year. George Bush Sr. spoke at my college graduation and the only thing I remember him telling us what how his mother used to call him after he was on television to tell him he needed to smile more. It was funny.