As yesterday was the 8Th anniversary of September 11th, I could not help but remember where I was that day and exactly what I was doing as so many others. I can remember that I was waiting to go to my Latin class and a fellow classmate had told us all what had happened and as we walked in the class we were sure the professor would have said something. Class went on as normal and at the end of class we took a quiz, now I do not remember what the quiz was over but, I do remember the last "bonus" question. It said: what happened this morning. That was all that was said. Then I went on to my other classes which were sociology where we were really able to talk about it and ask why and then on to mass media, where we were all glued to the TV's. I remember thinking everything on campus was strangely quiet and walking by seeing no one talking and just watching in disbelief of what had happened that morning. I remember having to tell my roommate about what had happened, she was asleep.
Every generation has something that defines it. My parents generation was Vietnam and President Kennedy's death. For my grandparents it was Pearl harbour and the Great depression and for mine, it has been September 11th. I never really understood the sadness that my dad always talked of or really what he was talking about until that day. Then I along with the rest of my generation lost all innocence that day and now have a new understanding of the world around us, shaped by that one day and that one event, knowing the next day nothing would ever be the same again. Then, the beginning of the wars on terror. On the memory of this day I would like to thank all of the people out there fighting for me and giving the ultimate sacrifice to keep us all safe. I would like to thank my brother for what he does everyday, while he has been fighting in Afghanistan, and await for his arrival home soon. So, on this day I would say to everyone stop and give thanks to those around you and remind your loved ones how much you care for them and love them on this day of remembrance.
1 comment:
Mandy! I didn't realize you had a blog - I am so dense!! Thank you for the advice on the food ... the troops we picked didn't really emphasize it but I had to think that getting some extra food (they said they had a microwave) We will definitely have a few food themed packages from now on!
Post a Comment