Monday, August 1, 2011

Book review- Water for Elephants

I just finished reading Water for Elephants. I had wanted to read this book before I see the movie. I really enjoyed this book, and would recommend it to you. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars as a rating.

This book starts out a little slow but picks up quickly. The book spends a lot of time going back and fourth between the present and the past. The book starts out with a prolog in that feels like you are missing what is going on. As you read on you find out that this is a memory of the main character Jacob. He goes on to say that he does not talk about those days and that he never has. The reader finds out that Jacob worked in a circus in during the depression. Also, you learn what lead him to join the circus and a little more about his life to that point that he is remembering. Then Jacob cuts to today and you learn that he is an older man in a retirement home. You learn of his family and his ailing memory. You learn more about him. The whole book is based on memories that Jacob has held close for many years and ones that he has never talked about.  So, to learn more about what happened look forward to reading the book.

This book is a fast read and keeps the reader engaged by going back in forth between today and the past. You really get to know the characters from his standpoint in life. One thing I enjoyed about this book is that it starts where it ends. Also, you get to know where he will be going in the future. So, check out this book

No comments: