Sunday, August 8, 2010

lunch with old nurses

On Friday I had lunch with two nurses. Now, these are not just any two nurses mind you, but the nurses that I had as a baby in the NICU. I was a preemie many many moons ago, and a couple of my old nurses have kept in touch over the years. I had not seen them since I was maybe 12 or so, I am not exactly sure could have been a little later than that. Usually growing up if possible my mom and I would go and have lunch with them or something to celebrate. This time it was just me. I must admit, I was a little uncertain, since I had not seen them in so long. I was uncertain of if I would recognize them but then realized they would probably recognize me first. Well, they did. It was good to see them and hear stories from their prospective of when I was born than my parents prospective. Also, got to learn new things about then that I personally did not know. For example, one of them was born early as well, at that time is amazing to know. At first I was a bit unsure what to say to them since they had not seen me in years or seemed to know what to ask me. So, we just started with how things were and what I was up to, what my brothers were up to and parents were up to.

Also, it was the first time that the two nurses had seen each other in a while. Not sure how long, but they seemed to not know either. So, it was special for us all to get together. It was interesting listening to them talking to one another about their families and former patients. They told me I was there favorite success story and how they had lost touch with other's as happens over the years. One was asking me about a college I had looked at to me what seems like a lifetime ago, but to them just the other day. Now, that was only 11 years ago to them. To me I think of all the things I have accomplished in the last 11 years and things that have happened in the world. I graduated from high school, graduated from college went back to school for a teaching certification and have subbed. So when I think of all those years and what I have done from my prospective is greatly different than their prospective.

I am looking forward to another lunch with them sometime again with my mom too, so she can catch up with them as well. My mom had other plans that day, so it was just me. So I am hoping we will all get together again soon;

2 comments:

Alex and Emily said...

Very cool experience!! I have a question, how many weeks were you when you were born?

This is my life so far said...

So i just now saw your comment. Looking through them only over 2 years later haha. To answer your question I was born at 27 weeks.